Virtual University of Pakistan has been offering Bachelor of Science (BS) program in Computer Science since 2002. The prime focus of the program is to equip the students in the field of Computer Science so that they could grasp the in-built technicalities and complexities of computer and its related contemporary issues. The curriculum is based on the recommendations of the National Curriculum Revision Committees approved by the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Islamabad. However, the University may update the curricula from time to time with the approval of designated bodies. During the final year, students will be required to spend a good deal of time in completing a project. This project will usually be done in collaboration with industry, under the guidance of the professionals nominated by the University.
The Strategic objectives of BSCS program are:
- Enlighten students with theoretical knowledge of Computer Science.
- Enhance the programming skills of students by exposing them to multiple programming languages, tools, paradigms and technologies.
- Enhance the analytical and problem solving skills of students.
- Enable students to add fruitful contribution in the field of Information Technology and Computer Science.
- Provide students with a combination of knowledge, hands-on experience, and application of theory to information issues.
- Empower students with the future vision and utility of Computer Science.
- Inculcate and enhance research abilities of students in respective fields.
- Empower and enhance communication skills of the students.
After completing the Program, students should be able to:
- Apply problem solving skills, while using Computer Science concepts and standards to help an individual or organization achieve its goals and objectives.
- Select, design, integrate and administer CS-based solutions into the organizational environment.
- Identify the problem and apply current as well as emerging technical concepts and practices in Computer Sciences.
- Develop critical thinking to evaluate the problem area and come up with best solution.
- Work on a project using computing skills and present it logically and successfully in front of viva panel.
- Adapt latest tools, technologies and skills necessary for evolving computing practices of the industry.
- Start a career in a Computer science and Information Technology oriented business/industry or pursue higher studies in relevant field.
- Communicate their knowledge and ideas effectively.
Admission Eligibility Criteria
Admission Eligibility Criteria for Students having 12-Years Education
- At least 50% marks in Intermediate (HSSC) or equivalent qualification certified by IBCC.
- Must have passed Mathematics in combination with following subject(s): Physics, Computer Science/Information Technology, Biology, Chemistry, Commerce, Economics, Statistics, General Mathematics
Deficiency: Students who have not passed Mathematics at intermediate or at an equivalent level, as required in point b above, are also eligible to apply. However, they must take two extra courses of Mathematics of 6 credit hours in the first two semesters.
Admission Eligibility Criteria (Entry Route) for Students having 14-Years Education
- 45% marks in 14 years education obtained from HEC recognized university/institute.
- Must have studied any of the following subject(s) as major: Mathematics, Physics, Computing, Commerce, Statistics, Economics, Engineering
- Number of courses to be studied in BS degree and the resident time will be determined by the Equivalence Committee on case-to-case basis.
Course(s) exemption is allowed.
It is a four-year study program spread over eight semesters.
Degree Completion Duration
Courses of Study
Click here to View Study Scheme of BS Computer Science
Assessment of Study Progress
The students’ study progress evaluation mechanism is based on continuous assessment throughout the semester by giving assignments, on-line quizzes, Graded Discussion Boards (GDBs), mid-term and final-term exams. The mid and final term exams are conducted at VU’s designated exam centers and usually count for 80 to 85% of the total marks for a course.
Students of each BS degree offered by the CS & IT dept. must enroll and pass “CS619 Final Year Project” course, worth 6 credit hours, in the 7th Semester of respective degree program. The department intends to provide option to hardship cases who are not able to pass CS619 at the end of the 8th semester to take 2 courses each of 3 credit hours in lieu of CS619 in the subsequent semester(s) to complete their degree requirements.
Award of Degree
To become eligible for award of BS degree, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Must have studied and passed the prescribed courses, totaling at least 134 credit hours.
- Must have earned CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) of at least 2.0 on a scale of of 4.0.
However, as per HEC guidelines, students enrolled in BS Program can convert their respective BS program to Associate Degree (AD) after the completion of four semesters (2 years) of their BS program. In such scenario, students are required to fulfill the following requirements:
- Student has to take and clear final project of 3 credit hours.
- Student has studied/passed all the courses to fulfill the respective AD requirement.
- In case of deficiency, student has to clear the remaining courses.
- All the study change rules defined by the university may be applied.
If student wants to exit the respective BS program before completing the four semesters, then the student will have to apply for the study change program and following will be applicable:
- Study scheme of respective AD.
- Any extra course will be treated as non-credited course.
All the study change rules defined by the university.
Click here to View Fee Structure
- The courses may be revised time to time as a result of continuous review to bring them at par with courses from being taught at top-class foreign universities. While reviewing the courses, needs of local industry and job market are also given full consideration.
- The University reserves the right to change fee structure from time to time.